Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Thatsa Spicy Turkey Burger!

I don't know how I ever lived without my grill pan, I really don't. I think I bring it out at least three times a week these days. Of course, this also means that Dimples has become quite adroit at dismantling our smoke alarm. Things do smoke prodigiously on the grill pan, and since our alarm's overly sensitive as it is, it's getting as much of a workout as the pan. Our neighbors are probably wondering what our fascination with flame is.

Anyway, the Patient Co-Worker came over last weekend and we hauled out the grill pan for a round of spicy turkey burgers. These are quick to shape and easy to grill. People often complain that turkey burgers are dry, but here the moisture from the mayo, chile, and cheese keeps them moist and juicy. Garnish with generous dollops of barbeque sauce or chipotle mayo.



Spicy Turkey Burgers
Adapted from some cooking magazine


Makes 4 patties.

1.5 lbs. ground turkey breast (preferably organic)
1/4 c. dried breadcrumbs
kosher salt
freshly-ground black pepper
one jalapeno chile, minced
2 T. reduced-fat mayo
1/2 c. shredded pepper jack (cheddar will work in a pinch)
buns and condiments of choice

Heat your grill pan over medium-high heat.

Mix the breadcrumbs, chile, mayo, cheese, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper in a large bowl. Add the turkey and gently mix to combine. Divide into four equal portions and gently shape into 4-inch patties. Press your thumb into the center of each to create a small depression (this will keep the burgers from "doming" on the grill).

Salt and pepper both sides of the burgers. Grill 5-8 minutes per side and serve with whatever you like.

9 Comments:

  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger Paz said…

    Your turkey burgers sound delicious! Even though it's small, I love my grill pan, too! I was really excited when I bought it. Who knew I'd ever get excited about kitchen stuff? ;-)

    Paz

     
  • At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Pam said…

    Sound great, I really love home made burgers. You really cannot beat them!!

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Acme Instant Food said…

    Mmmmmmmspicyturkeyburgersmmmmmm!!!

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hi Paz! Isn't funny how kitchen stuff can take over your life? I'm eyeing a bigger food processor...

    Hi Pam! So good and so easy! I'm always surprised by that.

    Hiya Acme! These are some mighty fun turkey burgers, too.

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    You know I never have a problem with my turkey burgers being dry. I think it might the time difference in how long people cook hamburger and turkey burgers don't you? I have never put mayo in mine because that makes me want to gag, but yours do look so good that I might have to pretend that it isn't there and eat them anyway.
    Would you be interested in cross posting this on my site for Turkey Tuesday?

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hiya Heather! I'm not a big fan of mayo myself (unless it's so mixed with other things that it ceases to taste like plain mayo), but I think this recipe benefits from it since I use 100% ground turkey breast.

    Anyway, would love to cross post -- email me at bna_pbpo@yahoo.com and we'll set it up! (Your last turkey burger looks awesome!)

     
  • At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Ellie said…

    Simply stunning! I'm still saving up to get a cast-iron grill pan myself...*sigh* damn this shoe addiction!

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Shoes v. grill pans...I dunno, that's a tough choice!!

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Anonymous swampechaun said…

    Thanks for this recipe. I am positive that I will be able to get my husband to eat turkey burgers with this recipe. I don't know why I never thought to spice the heck out of them!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home